Our History

Historical Milestones

February 1949
Initial meeting of 13 founders of the church who made the decision to organize a Ukrainian Orthodox Parish in Canada’s capital.
August 1949
Meeting of earliest members in the presence of Very Rev. Volodymyr Sluzar of Montreal. Decision made to join the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. Dmytro Kostenuk elected as first Parish President.
October 1949
First Liturgy of the congregation held in the Greek Orthodox Church, located at 360 Albert St., attended by Archbishop Mstyslav, Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.
March 1950
Congregation purchases first church building, the Anglican Church of the Ascension, dating from 1877, at 115 Echo Drive, on the corner of Main Street, overlooking historic Rideau Canal . Cost of the church - $12,000. The cost of modifications was an additional $7,000 and included a central roof dome, a bell tower and a bell imported from Europe.
August 1950
Dedication of the first Ukrainian Orthodox c hurch in Ottawa, named in honour of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin.

read more >>>

 

Parish Priests

Fr. John Danyliuk

Fr. John Danyliuk
1950 – 1952

Fr. Orest Iwaniuk

Fr. Orest Iwaniuk
1952 – 1954

Fr. Gregory Kryshtanowych

Fr. Gregory Kryshtanowych
1954 – 1955

Fr. Myroslav Podolsky

Fr. Myroslav Podolsky
1955 – 1961

 

read more >>>

 

Founders and Pioneers

The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral honours its founders and pioneers who through their tireless efforts and sacrifice established the Parish in 1949 and continued to support it over many years. The current and future members of this Parish remain forever indebted to the vision and initiative of these founders and pioneers and to other parishioners who provided support in spirit and through their individual efforts.

read more >>>